Energy and Natural Resources
The energy sector is one of the most capital-intensive sectors of the Russian economy. We understand the unique features of the energy sector and the needs of its results-oriented participants. We give clear, practical advice to our clients, which include major state-controlled and private companies, Russian and international financial institutions, and export credit agencies. This advice lets them implement their projects at the lowest possible cost and in the shortest possible time.
Our team includes recognised professionals with solid work experience on international markets. Our lawyers can confidently navigate the constantly changing rules and regulations and advise on the entire range of issues related to developing and exploiting onshore and offshore oil and gas deposits; construction of drilling rigs, platforms, pipelines, and LNG terminals; creation of petroleum refining and petrochemical production enterprises; lease of drilling machinery; and purchase and sale of participation interests in upstream operations.
We also provide comprehensive support for financing of oil and gas projects and transactions, including traditional project financing, financing the construction of oil and gas facilities before the acquisition and disposal of property rights (including lease) to oil and gas deposits in countries all around the world, financing commodity shipments, and more.
We provide our energy and natural resources clients with services that include:
- assistance in drafting and concluding shareholder agreements, joint venture agreements, and partnership agreements
- transaction support for mergers and acquisitions, purchasing equity in LNG, oil and gas, pipeline, oil refining, and petrochemical projects
- assistance in drafting and concluding agreements on the sale or acquisition of interests in deposit development and exploitation
- advice in relation to raising project financing
- assistance in drafting and concluding domestic and cross-border agreements, whether short- or long-term, related to onshore and offshore LNG and oil, gas and other natural resources offshore and onshore production
- drafting of supply contracts for equipment, good and other material, including take-or-pay agreements
- drafting of basic engineering contracts, FEED documentation, assistance with EPCM or EPC contracts, and other transportation and infrastructure construction agreements, including advisory services on risk management and obtaining technology licenses, and dispute resolution
- consulting on the joint development of deposits and assistance in the conclusion of production sharing agreements
- assistance in drafting and concluding drilling contracts and in the extraction, delivery, refining and sale of primary commodities
- support for LNG projects (including regasification projects), advice on LNG marketing and transportation, and development of platforms for trading in LNG and investments in LNG projects
- consulting on derivative trading issues
We provide support in respect of all aspects of environmental law, across the spectrum of transactional advisory, regulatory advisory and dispute management contexts in the sector.
Our lawyers successfully represent our clients' interests in administrative and court proceedings with the supervisory authorities. Among other things, we can oversee legal reviews of compliance with environmental legislation, ensure that known and potential environmental risks are properly distributed, and prevent the appearance of liability for environmental damage and non-compliance with environmental legislation after a transaction has already been concluded.
We offer effective legal support during the arbitral and court disputes that can arise at different stages of various energy and oil and gas projects; we also provide mediation services.
01 June 2023
Better Chance announces its first-year results and new strategic areas of focusMore
01 June 2022
An alliance of the best teams from Clifford Chance, Allen & Overy, Herbert Smith Freehills, Linklaters, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, and Squire Patton Boggs announced the start of their work under a new brand - Better ChanceMore
We invite you to read the latest company news
Better Chance and W&H Law Firm (PRC) entered into a comprehensive strategic cooperation
Our cooperation with one of the largest law firms in mainland China creates new opportunities in the rapidly growing market of cross-border investment projects
Better Chance advises X5 Group
Better Chance advises X5 Group on the acquisition of a 100% stake in Victoria Baltia LLC
First year results and strategic developments
Better Chance announces its first-year results and new strategic areas of focus
Better Chance advises Morgan Advanced Materials
The Better Chance team advises Morgan Advanced Materials plc on the sale of its 51% holding in MTK-SL LLC to its business partner Sukholozhsky Refractory Plant JSC
Better Chance advises Arcelik A.Ş.
Better Chance advises Arcelik A.Ş. on the acquisition of Whirlpool’s Russian business.
Better Chance unites best teams on the legal services market
An alliance of the best teams from Clifford Chance, Allen & Overy, Herbert Smith Freehills, Linklaters, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, and Squire Patton Boggs announced the start of their work under a new brand — Better Chance